Odometer readings are automatically recorded for each vehicle with an installed device. Although there is often very little difference between reported (GPS Odometer) and actual mileage (Diagnostic Odometer), you may want to take quarterly readings and record them as odometer waypoints in the portal–especially if your company bills for mileage. Should there be any difference between reported and actual (due to a variety of operational variables), the portal will re-factor the difference among all of the trips taken since the last entry and continue to recalibrate for future entries.
You can update odometer waypoints by entering values into the web portal one at a time, or you can register in a batch process by importing data from a spreadsheet.
Enter a Waypoint
It has been about six months since a known odometer waypoint has been entered for Vehicle 31, and actual odometer in the vehicle is significantly different from what is shown in the portal.
To enter an odometer waypoint:
- Open the Edit Vehicle Details page for the vehicle you want to modify.
- In the Known Odometer Waypoints grid, enter the Odometer value and the date/time at which the reading was taken.
- Click Save Waypoint.
The grid updates with a new line item for the waypoint. If the vehicle is turned off, the current odometer value may not update until the vehicle reports again.
The Odometer History chart also updates to reflect the new waypoint.
If the Odometer History chart reflects erratic behavior after adjusting a waypoint, it may be an indication that your device requires a firmware update. Contact Support to resolve the issue with an over-the-air update.
The portal provides several options for importing and exporting data to and from a spreadsheet. This option is particularly useful if you want to update information for more than one vehicle at a time.
To update waypoints by importing from a spreadsheet
- From the portal, hover over the Account menu, click Manage Vehicles, and then click Update/Export items using a spreadsheet.
- Download one of the example spreadsheets next to the Update Odometer Waypoints option, and open the spreadsheet in Excel.
Row 1 contains the column headers (varies by example): VIN (or Serial Number or Vehicle Label), Odometer, and Timestamp.
- In Row 2, enter the details for your first vehicle that correspond to each column (all required).
- Continue adding rows of data into the spreadsheet for each vehicle that you want to update.
- Save the file as CSV.
- From the portal, click the Update Odometer Waypoints option.
- From the Import Step 1: Upload CSV or Excel File grid, click Choose File.
- In the Open window, browse to the location where you saved the file for import, and double-click it.
- Click Upload Now.
The Import Step 2: Define Columns grid appears. This grid allows you to see how your spreadsheet column names (shown in the drop-downs) will be applied to the appropriate fields in the GPS Insight portal (shown in bold). Set any fields marked “IGNORE” to the appropriate column name.
- Click Preview the Import.
The Import Step 3: Preview Import Data grid appears. This grid allows you to verify the data that will be imported. Valid values for reference fields will be marked with a green check box.
- Click Proceed with Import.
The Import Step 4: Import All Data grid appears. This grid provides a summary of the import results. If any rows were skipped, they will be listed here with the reason they were not imported.
- From the menu at the top of the page, click Vehicles to view the Vehicles page, and then edit one of the vehicles that you updated to see the waypoints that were imported.