The portal’s 3D mapping capabilities require Google Earth, which is is a free download provided by Google; however, the installation is optional and complies with the terms of service for Google Maps/Earth.
Download and Install Google Earth
- Open a browser window, and go to http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html.
- Read the terms of service, and click Agree and Download.
The download begins automatically for the Google Earth setup file.
- Locate the GoogleEarthSetup.exe file, and double-click it to start installation. (The download location may vary depending on the browser you are using. Typically it is saved in C:\Users\yourname\Downloads.)
- If a security warning window appears, click Run.
- If a User Account Control window appears, click Yes.
The Google Earth installation begins. When complete, the Google Earth application launches automatically.
You do not need to keep Google Earth running; it will automatically launch whenever you invoke a 3D mapping option from within the portal.
The portal saves a KML file to your computer’s default download location each time you request a 3D map. The KMZ and KML file extensions should be associated with the Google Earth application by default. If Google Earth does not open automatically after you request a 3D map from the portal, locate and right-click the downloaded KML file, click “Open With,” and choose Google Earth from the list of programs. Ensure the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” check box is selected. See About Maps for more information on using Google Earth with 3D mapping features.
- Close Google Earth.
Request a 3D Map from the Portal
- From the portal, hover over the Mapping menu, and click the 3D Mapping option you want (Current or History).
- Choose the vehicle or vehicle group and the date(s) that you want to include in the report.
- Click the black button (e.g., Current Map, History Map).
Click a selected day (one at a time) to clear it from the selection. To quickly clear a large selection of days, click the “T” option to select today’s date, and then click the highlighted date to de-select it. Start your custom selection again.
The download of the KMZ file begins automatically. Within your browser window, you may see the file in the bottom left corner (Chrome), upper right corner (Firefox), or bottom middle (Internet Explorer). If you do not see the file in your browser window, you can find the download typically saved in your Downloads folder (C:\Users\yourname\Downloads).
- Open or double-click the KMZ file.
Google Earth launches and displays the data points in a 3D mapping plane. The points remain in Google Earth’s Temporary Places as long as the application is opened. If you run another 3D map from the portal, it opens as another data set in the Temporary Places.
See the 3D Current or 3D History pages for more information on how to manipulate the data within Google Earth.