You can create or update users by entering information into the web portal one at a time, or you can manage users in a batch process by importing data from a spreadsheet.
Enter User Information
Entering user information manually is often used when you have a small number of users (1-5) to register at a time.
To enter information for a new portal user:
- From the portal, hover over the Account menu, click Manage Users, and click Open.
The Manage Users and Groups page opens in a new browser tab.
- At the bottom of the User List grid, click User next to Create New.
- In the Create New Username window, enter a new username and password for the user.
- If you want this new user to inherit dashboards, preferences, vehicle group membership and vehicle permissions from an existing user profile, choose the username from which to clone in the Clone This User drop-down.
Cloning does not include reports or alerts.
- If you want this new user to inherit menu permissions, choose an available Access Template.
You can clone a user AND copy access permissions, but access permissions override any overlapping permissions cloned from the user. We recommend updating Hierarchy group membership after this process via spreadsheet upload.
- Click Create User.
The Edit User screen appears.
- Enter the remaining details for the new user: First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Phone Number, Address, City, State/Zip, Country, and Timezone.
- Send Welcome Email: The Welcome email that contains a link to the portal and the user’s username, password, and security PIN required for login. Each time you send a Welcome email from the portal, a copy is sent to the primary email address for your account. The message “From Address” is support@[provider].com. Be sure that users at your company add this address as an exception to their email SPAM filter to ensure receipt of the email.
- Force Password Reset: Forcing a Password rest forces the user to change their own password immediately upon their first login.
If your user access is limited by hierarchy, assign this new user to one of the hierarchy branches within your access level, or else you will lose access to the user and will need to ask your account administrator to adjust the assignment.
- Click Save Changes.
Import User Information
The portal provides several options for importing and exporting data to and from a spreadsheet. You can use the import option for registering a large batch of users. Typically this process is done after you’ve already set up user access options. The maximum number of rows spreadsheet upload accepts is 1,500. If your spreadsheet has more than this number it is recommended to break it up and perform multiple uploads for each group of 1,500 until it is complete.
If you already have data in the portal, it’s a good practice to first export the data for safe-keeping so that you can restore if you later make a mistake in your import.
To import users:
- From the portal, hover over the Account menu, click Manage Users, and then click Update/Export items using a spreadsheet.
- Download one of the CSV Example templates (1, 2, or 3) next to the Create New users spreadsheet action.
- Within the spreadsheet, column names appear in Row 1 and an example record appears in Row 2. Replace Row 2+ with your own data.
Fields in the Reference column on the Update/Export page are required. If your spreadsheet has duplicate data rows for a reference column, such as two rows with the same username or VIN, the spreadsheet upload will only import one record using the last row of data.
Available columns for user import include: Username, Password, First Name, Last Name, Full Name, Email Address, Address, City, State, Zip, Country, Timezone, Vehicle Group Permissions, Hierarchy Permissions, Hierarchy Permission Types, and Menu Access Template. You must include data for the following cells: Username and Password (reference columns). All other cells are optional.
If you have multiple items within a cell, use the following delineator(s):
~ – full path for hierarchy (e.g., Company Name~East~Northeast)
: – multiple assignments (e.g., Vehicles:Drivers)
; – multiple items (e.g., red;gray)
- Save the spreadsheet with your changes.
- From the portal in the Spreadsheet Actions grid, click the Create New Users option.
- From the Import Step 1: Upload CSV or Excel File grid, click Choose File.
- In the Open window, browse to the location where you saved the file for import, and double-click it.
- Click Upload Now.
The Import Step 2: Define Columns grid appears. This grid allows you to see how your spreadsheet column names (shown in the drop-downs) will be applied to the appropriate fields in the portal (shown in bold). Set any fields marked “IGNORE” to the appropriate column name.
- Click Preview the Import.
The Import Step 3: Preview Import Data grid appears. This grid allows you to verify the data that will be imported. Valid values for reference fields will be marked with a green check box.
- Click Proceed with Import.
The Import Step 4: Import All Data grid appears. This grid provides a summary of the import results. If any rows were skipped, they will be listed here with the reason they were not imported.
- From the menu at the top of the page, click Users to view the new users that were imported.
Certain Spreadsheet Upload Actions can update only one column at a time. For example, the Attribute Update process would need to be performed twice to update the Car Color then the Car Type attribute. You would choose “–Ignore–” for one of the attributes during each upload so only one was chosen. (That the column header on that particular spreadsheet is the actual Attribute Name as entered in the system. This name must be listed in the first row to designate the Attribute Name for Attribute update.) The Hierarchy Update the spreadsheet process is similar in that you would perform it twice to assign a vehicle to two different Hierarchy Trees.
The import process does not send the Welcome Email to new users. After the import, click the Send Welcome Email button next to any user. Then add the email addresses, separated by a comma.