The installation kit contains one iButton Reader, one plastic washer, one metal locking washer, four butt connectors, two key fobs, and one buzzer, or one light. Additional tools and supplies you need include one drill, one 10 mm. drill bit, one 13 mm. drill bit (light), wire strippers, a crimping tool, electrical tape, and zip-ties.
The following steps provide an overview of the installation process:
- Determine the mounting location
- Prep the mounting location
- Assemble iButton Reader and run wires to device
- Connect iButton Reader to device
- Install Driver Notification System
- Verify installation and reassemble dash
1. Determine the mounting location.
Before you begin, it is important that you sit in the driver’s seat to determine a suitable mounting location. The iButton Reader and light (if applicable) should be visible and easy to reach from the driver’s seat.
2. Prep the mounting location.
- Carefully pull back the dash panel where the Driver ID kit is being installed.
- Next, confirm the area directly behind the mounting location is clear of any interference so there are no issues reassembling the dash with the iReader installed.
3. Assemble iButton Reader and run wires to device.
- Once confirmed, drill a 10 mm. hole into the determined mounting location.
- Feed the iButton Reader wires through the hole from the front of the dash to the back.
- From behind the dash panel, slide one plastic washer, followed by one metal locking washer onto the iButton Reader assembly.
- Verify the washers sit tight against the back of the dash panel.
- Route the iButton Reader’s wires to the GPS device mounting location.
As the washers near the back of the iReader, ensure each iReader wire sits inside one of the grooves found on the iReader shaft.
4. Connect iButton Reader to device.
- Strip the ends of both iButton Reader wires.
- From the 20-pin harness, strip a small portion of the white wire with a blue stripe (pin 17), and the solid black wire (pin 16).
- Using butt connectors…
- Crimp the black and gray stripped iButton Reader wire with the white and blue stripped wire (pin 17) on the 20-pin harness.
- Crimp the solid black iButton Reader wire to the solid black wire (pin 16) on the 20-pin harness.
5. Install Driver Notification System.
Follow the instructions below for installing the Driver ID light, or Driver ID buzzer.
To install the driver notification light…
- Drill a 13 mm. hole near the iButton Reader.
- Feed the light wires through the hole from the front of the dash to the back, and snap the light into place.
- Route the light wires to the GPS device’s mounting location.
- Locate the solid red wire in the AUX 2 bundle and snip the wire in half:
- Strip both ends of the AUX 2 red wire and the end of the light’s red wire.
- Using a butt connector, secure the light’s red wire with the lowermost AUX 2 red wire on one end.
- Connect the the other half of the AUX 2 red wire to the opposite end of the butt connector.
- Locate the solid yellow wire (pin 11) on the 20-pin harness:
- Strip the end of the harnesses solid yellow wire and the light’s solid black wire.
- Using a butt connector, secure the light’s solid black wire to the end of the 20-pin’s solid yellow wire (pin 11).
- Secure any loose wiring with electrical tape and zip-ties.
To install the driver notification buzzer…
- Locate the solid red wire in the AUX 2 bundle, and cut the wire in half.
- Locate the solid yellow wire (pin 11) on the 20-pin harness.
- Strip the end of the solid yellow wire (pin 11), and strip the end the of the buzzer’s black wire.
- Using a butt connector, secure the buzzer’s solid black wire to the solid yellow wire on the 20-pin harness.
- Secure the buzzer to the wiring harness using a zip tie.
6. Complete device installation and verify operation.
You have completed the optional add-on installation; you may continue with your installation according to the appropriate GPSI-3900 Installation Guide.
During the installation verification process, you will be required to test this add-on, so please make sure you have one of the two iButtons available for the Driver ID testing.
To key in, press the key fob flat against the iButton Reader and slide slightly in any direction so the key fob touches the inner side of the reader. This connection will turn off the light/buzzer.