The installation kit contains 4 in. (10 cm) heat shrink tubing, magnetic reed switch, magnet, sandpaper, four 8 in. (20.3 cm) cable ties, self-tapping screw, ring terminal, star washer, 8 ft. (2.5 m) extension cable, and glue.
Additional tools you may need include a fine tip marker, end cutting nipper pliers, razor knife, heat gun, insulated crimper, cordless drill, Phillips bit, and wire stripper.
The following steps provide an overview of the installation process:
- Install preparation.
- Device connection.
1. Install preparation.
Locate magnet, nippers, fine tip marker, and sandpaper.
- Place the magnet on the opposite side of the buckle release, to the right side and insert into the buckle receiver. If the magnet impedes normal operation, proceed to Step #2. If not, skip to Step #4.
- Mark the plastic that will need to be removed.
- Remove only as much plastic as needed for the seat belt to buckle with the magnet installed.
- Prep the magnet mounting area with sandpaper.
Locate glue, magnet, heat shrink tubing, reed switch, and heat gun.
- Glue the magnet to the buckle.
- Peel tape from the reed switch and mount to buckle receiver as high as possible.
- Place heat shrink tube over the buckle receiver and apply heat.
- Buckle seat belt. When buckled, the gap between the magnet and the switch should be no more than 1/4 in.
3. Device Connection.
Locate extension wire, wire stripper, insulated crimper, three butt connectors, cordless drill, ring terminal, star washer and self-tapping screw.
- Strip 1/2 in. (12.5 cm) of insulation from both extension cable and switch wires before twisting the wire strands and connecting with butt connectors.
- On the other end of the extension wire, strip 1/2 in.(12.5 cm) of insulation from the black wire, crimp the ring terminal to the wire and screw it to the chassis.
- Butt connect the other reed wire to one of the three ground device inputs.
Device negative (-) input color and pin number:
– GPSI-5000 input 2 orange (Pin 2), Input 3 purple (Pin 3), Input 4 grey (Pin 4)