As a portal user with the Starter Disable permission, you can disable/enable a vehicle’s starter remotely by selecting a toggle within the vehicle card of the new portal map.
Starter Disable requires special wiring during installation and is only currently supported on GPSI-5000 devices. Please see the Accessory: GPSI-5000 Starter Disable Installation Guide for installation information.
How to use Starter Disable:
- From the Portal, use the Vehicle List (left-hand panel) or the Search field to locate the vehicle for which you would like to disable the vehicle’s starter.
- From the Vehicle Card, click the ellipses icon ().
- Click the toggle button next to Disable Starter.
- If you are sure, click Yes, Disable.
If you do not want to disable the starter for the vehicle, click No, Cancel.
- Once you would like to enable the starter for the vehicle, click the ellipses icon from the Vehicle Card then use the toggle button next to Disable Starter to toggle the function off.
- If you are sure, click Yes, Enable.
If you do not want to enable the starter for the vehicle, click No, Cancel.
Once selected, the vehicle’s Vehicle Card appears.
A drop-down menu with options appears.
A pop-up confirmation window appears to confirm you are sure you want to the starter on the selected vehicle accompanied by a warning regarding the required strong cellular connectivity for the GPS device.
If successful (based on GPS cellular connectivty), a pop-up window appears confirming the starter is disabled.
A pop-up confirmation window appears to confirm you are sure you would like to enable the starter for the vehicle accompanied by a note that strong cellular connectivity for the GPS device is required.
If successful (based on GPS cellular connectivty), a pop-up window appears confirming the starter is enabled.
Important Items to Consider
- You, as the end customer, assume the risk that if you need to move the vehicle in an emergency situation, you cannot if you do not have access within the GPS Insight portal, and/or if the device is out of cellular coverage.
- The Starter Disable feature is optional and is designed only for vehicles with a bladed key start. Do not install the Starter Disable feature in vehicles with a push button start.
- In order to properly install the feature, installers must have real-time access to the host vehicle wire interface diagrams for starter control (i.e. ALLDATA™, WireSheet™, or equivalent), which allows installers to:
- have the means to determine which vehicle wire to interface.
- understand when the starter wire on the vehicle’s ignition switch harness is multiplexed and, therefore, must be inhibited by other means, for example within the Engine Bay, interrupting the control wire between the starter relay and the starter solenoid.
- determine the Make/Model/Year of vehicle in which the Starter Disable solution cannot be installed.
- GPS Insight provides no guidance for Hybrid or Electric vehicles with regards to Starter Disable.
- Due to the wide variety of installations and vehicles, GPS Insight cannot provide direct support for this feature outside of portal and basic GPSI-5000 functionality.