The GPS Insight Updater App allows you to stay up-to-date with important app and feature updates pertaining to your HOS Solution.
To see these steps performed on the device, watch the related video from 0:00-3:50 min.
Complete the “Installing the Updater App” process (located at the end of this article) the first time you update a device. Once installed, you do not need to complete this entire process each time you look for updates; however, the steps for enabling Wi-Fi connectivity will still be required.
Enabling Wi-Fi Connectivity
To use the Updater App, your device must be connected to wi-fi.
To enable Wi-Fi connectivity:
- Locate and open the Settings app on the left-side of the home screen. If you do not see the Settings app, scroll through your home screen apps by swiping up on the left-side of the screen.
- Enter the settings password, and tap OK. If you do not know the settings password, please contact your GPS Administrator, or the GPS Insight Support team for further assistance.
- In the Wireless & Networks section, tap Wi-Fi.
- If the current status shows Off, tap the status once to turn on Wi-Fi.
- Select your Wi-Fi network from the list, and enter the password (if applicable). When finished, verify the Wi-Fi status shows Connected.
Updating HOS Apps
Complete the “Updating HOS Apps” process each time you look for updates. Ensure the device is connected to Wi-Fi before proceeding.
After you have the connected your device to wi-fi, you can search for new tablet updates.
Depending on your Wi-Fi connection and the number of updates available, the average completion time for this process is around 10 minutes.
To check for updates:
- Ensure the device is connected to Wi-Fi. (See above steps.)
- Locate and open the Updater App from your home screen.
- Tap Check for Updates.
- Available updates appear with the word Update next to them. Tap Update to begin the download process for the first update.
- Once the download is completed, tap Install.
- Repeat Steps 4-5 until there are no more updates available.
- Locate eldproperties.txt at the bottom of the Files section, and tap Re-Download.
If an update is available for the messagingupdater App, complete this update first. Then complete any available updates for the Updater App. Once any and all available updates to the messagingupdater App and Updater App are complete, proceed to complete all other available updates.
Follow these additional steps if you receive the following error: “Install blocked. For security, your tablet is set to block installation of apps obtained from unknown sources.“.
- Tap Cancel.
- Tap Settings, and enter the settings password, if prompted. If you do not know the settings password, please contact your HOS Administrator, or the GPS Insight Support team for further assistance.
- Tap Security, then tap, “Allow installation of apps from unknown sources.“
- Retry the update process.
Disabling Wi-Fi Connectivity
After the tablet has processed all available updates, it is important that you go back into the tablet’s settings to disable Wi-Fi connectivity before placing it back into service.
To disable Wi-Fi connectivity:
- Locate and open the Settings app from the tablet’s home screen. If you do not see the Settings app, scroll through your home screen apps by swiping up on the left-side of the screen.
- When prompted, enter the settings password. If you do not know the settings password, please contact your HOS Administrator, or the GPS Insight Support team for further assistance.
- Tap Wi-Fi from the Wireless & networks section.
- Tap the On status to disable Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Confirm the current status shows as Off.
- Once all updates are complete and Wi-Fi has been turned off, power off the device by holding down on the Power button and tapping Power Off when prompted.
- You may now redock the tablet.
Installating the Updater App
If you do not have this app installed on your tablet, please follow the instructions listed below for downloading and installing the Updater app.
Prior to checking for HOS App updates, you must install the Updater App, which requires Wi-Fi connectivity. With the tablet in hand, contact the GPS Insight Support team, and complete the next series of steps with the Support Specialist on the phone.
Depending upon your Wi-Fi connection, the average completion time for this process is around 10 minutes. We recommend allowing the tablet time to finish installing the app before placing it back into service.
To install the Updater App:
- Once connected to a Wi-Fi network (refer to steps #1-#5 under Enabling Wi-Fi Connectivity), provide the Support Specialist with the 12-digit serial number, listed as S/N, on the back of the tablet.
- When instructed to do so, swipe down from the top-center of the screen, and tap CMF Connections Status.
- Enter the settings password into the Password field, and tap the green check mark. If you do not know the settings password, please contact your HOS Administrator, or the GPS Insight Support team for further assistance.
- Once in the CalAmp Mobile Framework, tap PULS, and tap Generate a PULS versions report.
- The tablet will begin downloading and installing the GPS Insight Updater app.
- Verify the app has been installed by tapping the home icon on the right-side of the tablet screen. The installed app appears in the lower-left section of the home screen.