Use the instructions below to set up a mobile hotspot for iOS and Android devices if you need to download videos after events in which the vehicle is no longer reliably functional (i.e., vehicle accidents, in the shop, etc.) or if you are in low to no cell coverage zones.
If the below steps are performed by a driver, please remind them to disable and rename their mobile hotspot in order to avoid accidental overages on the device’s data plan.
Setting up an iOS Hotspot
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > About.
- Tap the first line, which shows the name of your device.
- Rename your device to the desired SSID Name, then tap Done.
Changing Your Personal Hotspot Password
Assuming you do want to change your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot password, follow these steps:
- Tap the Settings app to open it.
- Tap Personal Hotspot.
- Tap the Wi-Fi Password menu.
- Tap the X on the right side of the Password field to delete the current password.
- Type in the new password that you want to use.
- Tap Done in the top right corner.
Setting up an Android Hotspot
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Select Connections.
- Select Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
- Select Mobile Hotspot.
- Toggle ON.
- Select the current name of the mobile hotspot and rename.
- Change the password.
Downloading Videos via Hotspot
- After turning the hotspot on and changing the details to the above to allow the device to connect and begin to download the updated software, wait approximately 30 minutes.
- Keep the smartphone and device powered on and near each other.
If you’re unsure of whether or not the device has taken the update, please feel free to reach out to Support at (866) 477-4321, Option 1 or email@example.com.
- IMPORTANT: After 30 minutes, turn the mobile hotspot OFF on the phone being used.
- Cycle the key off and allow the device to power down (approx. 3-6 min).
- Turn the ignition on, and the downloaded package will be applied.
It’s best to leave the ignition ON for the next 15 minutes, if possible, after making sure the Hotspot is OFF.