Garmin custom forms allows you to design your own forms in the portal and send them to a Garmin device. Drivers can fill out the form, and send the data back over-the-air (from the cab or at the point of service). You can then gather that data via API, reports, or CSV file so you can take action on it–whether it’s sending it to billing or another back-end system.
Company XYZ’s wants to collect data in the field for their gravel loaders so that they could expedite their billing and invoicing rather than relying on a paper process.
To design a Garmin Custom Form
- From the portal, hover over the More menu, click Garmin, and click Open.
The Garmin Integration page appears.
- From the menu, click Custom Forms.
- From the Custom Forms List, click Custom Form next to Create New.
- In the Custom Form Designer, click in the title bar of the form design.
The Custom Form Title window appears.
- From the Custom Form Setup Options side of the form designer, click the Plus icon next to the field(s) you want to add to the form:
- Title: Set the title of the form.
- Keyboard: Add an alphanumeric entry item to the form. Details include Title, Placeholder, Default Value, and Required.
- Numpad: Add a Numeric entry item to the form. The numpad that Garmin provides does not have a decimal point option, so you may consider creating two separate numerical fields (one for the whole number and one for the decimal) if needed, or you may choose to put numerical values in a single select list instead of Numpad. Details include Title, Placeholder, Length, Min, Max, Default Value, and Required.
- Date: Add a Date scroller widget (m/d/y) to the form. Details include Title, Default Value, and Required.
- Time: Add a Time scroller widget (hh:mm) to the form. Details include Title, Default Value, and Required.
- Multi Select: Add a Multi-select list of check boxes to the form. Details include Title, Add Item, and Required. The Item List shows items that were added (enter text in the Add Item field, and press Enter on your keyboard).
- Single Select: Add a Single select list of radio buttons to the form. Details include Title, Add Item, and Required. The Item List shows items that were added (enter text in the Add Item field, and press Enter on your keyboard).
- Choose Stop Item: Add a Stop picker to the form. The driver can choose any stop location that already exists on the device, which would’ve been delivered via a dispatch from different areas of the portal–like the Garmin dispatch screen or our route dashlet. Details include Title and Required.
- Click Save.
- Click the Preview icon ( to see a visual) representation of the form.
Each device is different, so it may actually look different on the device interface. In order to send a form to a device, it must first belong in a Custom Forms Group. (See below.)
To send a form to a device / receive data from a device:
- From the Custom Forms page, click Custom Forms Group next to Create New.
The New Custom Forms Group window appears.
- Enter a name for the form group, and click Create Custom Forms Group.
The list of forms that belong to this form group appears (no forms have yet been added).
- From the right pane, CTRL + click to select the custom form(s) you want to add, and click Add.
- Click Save and Continue.
The list of devices that belong to this form group appears (no devices have yet been added).
- From the right pane, CTRL + click to select the vehicle(s) you want to add, and click Add.
- Click Save Changes.
- From the Garmin Vehicle List, click Sync Now.
Any forms assigned to that group (that is now assigned to the device) will sync to the device within a few minutes. The driver can complete the form and send the results back when finished.
When the driver submits the form, you can view the results in several areas:
- Received Forms Grid: On the Custom Forms page, choose a date range and view recent form submissions.
- Export to CSV: On the Custom Forms page, choose the link to Export to CSV.
- Custom Forms Dashlet: On the dashboard, add the Custom Forms dashlet.
- Custom Forms: In the Custom category for reports, run the Garmin Custom Forms report.
- API: In the API documentation, view the getReceivedCustomForms method.